Okay .... we have moved to southern Indiana and are currently renting a house while we are building our new house.|
So I still have days when it's raining or it's just too cold out to work on the property and I never have been one to sit and watch TV much.
The rental house has two bedrooms and we have set the computers up against one wall. Against the opposite wall, I set up a folding table and made a couple of storage shelves out of some old closet doors so I can still play with my trains.
I actually started this little project about two months ago and hadn't taken any photos back then. Now that the weather is turning colder, I'm spending a little more time on it. This is another different type of engine made from cutting the parts from the plastic AHM 0-8-0 locomotive kit that was available back in the 70's.
I like locomotives at the opposite ends of the size range. The big long articulated steam locomotives appeal to me and the little 0-4-0 switch engines appeal to me. I'm not so much interested in the locomotives that are in-between those two sizes.
For this one, I took the AHM 0-8-0 chassis ( on the left ) and cut it down to a 0-4-0 chassis.
Now the boiler from the 0-8-0 locomotive (on the left) is too large for the switch engine so I only used the cab and part of the fire box under the cab. The floor of the cab is made out of diamond plate patterned styrene sheet and front of the cab is made out of smooth styrene sheet.
The boiler is a section of 1-1/2" diameter PVC sink drain pipe and the larger diameter in front of the cab is PVC pipe coupler.
These two pieces were glued together and the taper into the larger diameter was turned on the lathe.
The banding straps are .100 wide styrene strips wrapped around the boiler.
The front section of running boards were cut off the AHM kit (on the left) and glued to the boiler on the switch engine.
The steam cylinders on the 0-8-0 locomotive have three cylinders ( on the left ). The switch engine uses only two steam cylinder so I trimmed the center cylinder off and smoothed the steam cylinders down.
Put these parts together and it looks like this so far.