It has been a while since I posted anything on this but I have finally been able to take some time to work on this locomotive again. ........
I have an old tender made out of tin that was sold as a kit back in the 40's or 50's and I have decided to clean it up and use it for this locomotive.
I put 6-wheel tender trucks under it and mounted a end-sill on the rear and installed a pin under the front for the draw bar to hook to.
The front wheels on the rear chassis and the rear wheels on the front chassis, do not have springs on them.
So I took four brass springs and soldered them onto two pieces of brass plate.
Here I'm soldering the first spring to the piece of brass plate.
Here are the two finished pairs of springs.
Then I machined a piece of styrene to fit each of the chassis.
The blocks of styrene are glued in between the frame rails.
Two holes are drilled and tapped into each block of styrene.
Here are the ends of the two chassis units with the new springs mounted in place.
This is how they look when attached to the locomotive body.
The brass springs now fill in the area above the wheel sets.
With the construction of the chassis units completed, it is time to paint them.
The bearing blocks for the wheels on the AHM frames fit snugly as they are so the frames need to be masked off so paint doesn't get into the bearing mounts.
On the rear chassis, I have installed the drive gears, motor and electrical pickups that ride on the inside of the wheels.
The parts for the valve linkage and side rods are sorted out on the table to the left of the chassis.
The valve linkage and side rods are all riveted together.
Both chassis units have the valve linkage installed.
Starting with the front chassis, the wheels are then put onto the frame rails.
And the side rods and valve linkage are hooked up.
The steam cylinders and front deck are mounted in place and the pilot wheels are installed to complete the front chassis.
The wheels are mounted on the rear chassis and the side rods installed.
Before I go any farther with this, I put it on a test track and made sure that the chassis runs smoothly.
had already painted the locomotive and tender body's several weeks ago so all I have to do now is assemble everything and the engine is finished.
I still don't have an area for a layout yet so this locomotive will have to be content to sit on one of my display shelves with some of my other engines that I built.